Origin Of Shia & Ismailis Greetings==> YA ALI MADAD

Discussion on doctrinal issues
razinizar

Origin Of Shia & Ismailis Greetings==> YA ALI MADAD

Post by razinizar »

Most of the Ppl think Why Shia Sector .. Including Ismailies Says YA ALI MADAD When they Meet/Greet each others
the reason is
When Door-E-Satar had started in Imam Ismail's period.. Ismailies use to hide in that particular period so YA-ALI-MADAD used to be the Code name to understand whethter the incoming persion is Shia/Ismaili or not in that particular period.. After that it is went to be the Identity of Shia/Ismailes.
It just represent that We are the Follower of ALI.. Just like Other Religion has a identity to represent themselves.. it is like IDENTITY CARD or u can say Religious Identity Card.

CORRECT Me If i m wrong ..
This is my Own thinking .. So If anyone knows the reality plzz share it
Qizilbash

Post by Qizilbash »

There is a new discussion of this subject:

Significance of Ya Ali Madad:
http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... highlight=
shiraz.virani

Post by shiraz.virani »

The aslam alaikum was a common phrase of salutation in the period of the Prophet. Imam Hussain once said, "Seventy rewards are the share of the one who initiates a greeting, and only one reward belongs to the one who returns the greeting"
( Bihar al-Anwar, 78:120).
Soon after the battle of Siffin, the Shi'ite became the target of hostility and were persecuted by the Umayyads. The Imams had no option but to impart them the doctrine of taqiya to avoid the danger of being killed.
In the period of Imam Muhammad al-Bakir, the Shi'ites, residing far from Medina could hardly recognized their fellow followers. Thus, as a mark of recognition, Imam Jafar Sadik said, "Our followers possess a light on their foreheads by which they are easily recognized by the people of the world and if they greet each other, they should kiss each other's forehead" ( Bihar al-Anwar 10:144).
The kissing of forehead became a mark of recognizing each other, and an addition in the usual manner of wishing salam.
During the period of dawr-i satr, the Ismailis were scattered and lived in different garbs inside and outside the territories of Arabia . It is known that the Ismailis living in the villages of Iran uttered salam and raised their right hands' palms to recognize their fellow followers.
The fragments of the tradition indicate that the Ismaili pilgrims took
tremendous difficulties in the perilous and tedious journey from India
to Iran to see the Imams during post-Alamut period.

They scarcely recognized one another on the route, because the Bakhtiyari tribesmen committed banditry on the roads, terrorizing the highways. The pilgrims were plundered and killed, therefore, none dared to disclose the identity.

It infers from an old manuscripts of Bawa Sher Muhammad of Bombay, which was copied by Zainal Khanu, the daughter of Janat Ali Muhammad Ali on August 13, 1920, dealing with the old account of the Bawa family and their services in post-Alamut period that Pir Dadu (d. 1005/1596) had introduced the tradition of applying secret codes for the Ismaili pilgrims.

Thus, a secret travel-code was also introduced for security purpose. When one traveled towards Iran , and found any stranger on the route, he slowly uttered Hai Zinda. If unresponsive to the call, he presumed that the stranger was not an Ismaili.

If responded with an equal return of Hai Zinda, it was meant that he was too an Ismaili traveling to Iran , but misguided on route, and then both rekked together. If responded in return with the utterance of Qaim Paya, it was conceived that the person was an Ismaili, returning to homeland after making pilgrimage of the dharkhana. Thus, one who going to Iran uttered Hai Zinda, and Qaim Paya by the returning one.

The Hai Zinda and Qaim Paya were not familiar phrases among the Arabic and Persian speaking followers, therefore, they used the phrase Ya Ali Madad instead of Hai Zinda and Mawla Ali Madad in place of Qaim Paya.

The Indian pilgrims also followed it. It implies that the term Mawla was in the travel-code for one who beheld the Mawla (Imam). This travel-code proved an ideal weapon to scatter the clouds of
persecution. It must be known that the term Madat'i Ali was the first phrase of the 18th part of an old prayer.

The word Madat'i Ali was a corrupted form of Madad'i Ali, which was prevalent mostly in Kutchh.

Gradually, the terms Ya Ali Madad and Mawla Ali Madad became a salutation in the Ismaili circles in India , Iran , Afghanistan , Syria and Central Asia . In the manuscripts of the ginans of 17th century, the practice of writing Ya Ali Madad in the beginning also became vogue.

The Ismailis of China use to utter Ya Ali Madad by putting their hands on their knees. When the guest departs, they utter Khuda Hafiz by putting their hands on their knees in the same manner.

The phrase Ya Ali Madad means may Ali help (you), and the responder utters Mawla Ali Madad means may Mawla Ali help (you too). It is in the same manner when one speaks have a nice day and the responder utters you too. It main feature is that the responder includes the word Mawla in addition. It implies that he confesses the authority, superiority and guardianship of Mawla Ali. The Ismailis only apply this salutation among themselves, but utter the usual phrase of salam before other Muslims.

The Koran says, "Seek help through patience and prayer" (2:45). It implies that the patience and prayer are the sources to seek the Divine help. The Koran further says, "Our Lord! Get us out of this town whose inhabitants are tyrants, and appoint for us from You a guardian, and appoint for us from You a helper" (4:75). Hence, the Ismailis seek the Divine help through the channel of Ali, who is present in the world as an Imam.

The Koran says, "And to God belong the beautiful names, so call on Him by them" (7:180). In its interpretation, Ali bin Abu Talib said, "I am the beautiful name by which God has commanded people to call on Him."(Kawkab-i Durri, 3:29).

According to the report of Abul Hamra, it is mentioned in Hilyatul Awliya that the Prophet said, "When I was carried by night to the heaven, I saw written on the leg of the Throne: I (God) planted the paradise of Eden . Muhammad is the best of My creation. I helped him through Ali" (Ibid. 2:53). It is further mentioned on the authority of Abu Dhar Ghafari that the Prophet said, "Indeed God has given power to this religion through Ali, and I am from him and about him is revealed in the verse (11:17), "Is he then (like unto him) who has a clear proof from his Lord" (Ibid. 2:145).

In sum, the Shi'ite sects believe that the Divine help can be sought through the agency of the Imamate, which is apparent in the world in the progeny of the Prophet.

HOPE I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION BROTHER
Qizilbash

Post by Qizilbash »

Thanks for the elaboration!

May I ask, what does Hai Zinda and Qaim Paya mean (in which language)?

And can you give a little information about the sources you refer to (Kawkab-i Durri and Bihar al-Anwar)?

How old are these sources, in which language have they been written etc?

I am asking, because I am not an Ismaili myself, but I am very interested in Ismailism.

Thanks
znanwalla

Post by znanwalla »

" LA FATA ILLA ALY...LA SAIFA ILLA ZULFIKAR.." - one should understand the philosophy behind this expression as there is no hero except Aly and the historians are saying this !....first and foremost Hazrat Ali had "Alquabs" - not only was he "Murtaza" but also "Amir ul Momineen" and "Imam al Muttaqueen"........

Not only was he from an illustrious and noble clan but the greatest warrior and marshall of his time...a moralist and a great teacher....and Ali's sword was the help that Islam received during its early days of struggle and in its wars of self-defence.

For Islam he was the first line of defence. Please go and read the narrations of the battles he fought for Islam and especially Bader; Ohad; and Khyber.

Ali was the beau ideal of chivalry and personification of gallantry, bravery and generosity and so the greeting "YA ALI MADAD" captures these attributes and serves as a reminder of the attributes of the bold champion of Islam and his courage....this greeting serves also as a reminder to the Momineen to fight only for God, Truth and Justice and not act like mercenaries (that we see nowadays everywhere) who plunder and kill for wealth and power and political inclinations and then use the name of Religion as a justification like scoundrels....

Hazrat Ali's direction is clear - not to be injurious and harmful to mankind.....in today's turbulent world, it is necessary to not only send the "greetings of peace and of brotherhood but also remind each other of the high morals and ethics of the Commander to each other"

His battles carry with him chronicles of his bravery, courage and chivalry and even the enemies sang songs of Hazrat Ali's valour and gallantry....so what is wrong if his followers do this too?

In the battle of Ohad the enemies had seriously wounded the Prophet (peace be on him).. I will not go into details - go and read for yourselves and see how Ali fought relentlessly against all odds to not only save the Prophet's life but gain victory in the end and in this battle Ali killed many famous warriors of arabia who were enemies of the Prophet.

It is reported in the history books that even Angel Gabriel was loud in the praise of Ali and said: "there is no braver youth than Ali and no better sword than his "Zulfikar" and you can read about this battle more in details either in (a) Waquadi's history of Prophets (b)Tabaree's history.

And then read the history of the battle of the clans(Ahzab) or battle of the moat or ditch.....the giant Omer was killed by Ali in the end as all others had failed or were afraid....Omer's sister even had paid tribute to this great warrior of Islam....Ali had demorlized the enemies that they went back humiliated ....and you can read the details in (a) Shah Waiullah Dehlavi's izabuth ul khifa (b) kamil ibne asi'r - history Vol 11 (c) Seyoothee's Durray Munshoor or (d) Tabaree's history.

It is clear from all these narrations which we have read that even the prophet sought Hazrat Ali's help during the battles he fought for Islam...so why cannot a follower of Ali do so?....and for more details on the battle of Khyber and how the brave Ali took the enemies by storm, read (a) Moarej un Naboovath - vol 1v - page 216 (b)Almanquibe of Akthab e kharzami (c) Ibne Hasham's seerut page 187...

There is a very famous hadith of the Prophet (peace be on him) also you will find when you read "Moarej un Naboovath" (page 216) and this hadith was what the prophet had said soon after the battle of Khyber in regards to Hazrat Ali..

The victory Ali brought enabled the Muslims to come for Hajj and Umra and finally take control of the city of Mecca from the infidels and the hypocrites.

The greeting is just wonderful !
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »