The Caliphs of Islam

Discussion on doctrinal issues
Dovduv

The Caliphs of Islam

Post by Dovduv »

Greetings. I have many questions about Shi'a Islam and Ismaili Islam, but the first interesting issue is the whole subject of the caliphs. If Shi'a and Ismaili Muslims believe that Ali was the first caliph after Muhammad died, how do they view the caliph rulership of Abu Bakr, Uthman and Omar? In other words, who was ruling the Muslim community in Arabia and Mesopotamia etc. after Muhammad died during the years of the time when Abu Bakr, Uthman and Omar were considered to be the caliphs by the Sunni Muslims? Did they have no authority at all, and was Ali the only authority during all those years? Did they not even exist? Thanks
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Imam Ali accepted the first three Caliphs for the sake of unity of the Umma. There is a statement made by our 48th Imam on this issue. Please go to the thread below.

Looking for Sultan Mohd Shah Aga Khan Speech regarding

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... nciliation
Dovduv

Post by Dovduv »

Thank you, but I am a bit confused because I have seen Ali referred to as the first caliph. But the way you are explaining it, actual caliph authority was in the hands of Abu Bakr, Omar and Othman, and they were considered to be the caliphs.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Dovduv wrote:Thank you, but I am a bit confused because I have seen Ali referred to as the first caliph. But the way you are explaining it, actual caliph authority was in the hands of Abu Bakr, Omar and Othman, and they were considered to be the caliphs.
The Prophet while he was alive held temporal and spiritual authority. The Shia hold that Ali inherited the spiritual authority as the first Imam and this authority has continued until today. The Sunnis maintain that only temporal authority was passed on to the four Caliphs.

In the link that I referred you to, the 48th Imam stated:

The Imami Ismailis maintain that the position of the 'Ul . amr Menkom never dies out and this succession goes on till the day of judgement on earth. For this reason Ismailis celebrate the exceptionally long Imamat as they would celebrate every ascension to the spiritual throne of the Imamat in each century. In the present Imamat the final reconciliation between the Shia and Sunni doctrines has been publicly proclaimed by myself on exactly the same lines as Hazrat Aly did at the death of the Prophet and during the first thirty years after that. The political and worldly Khalifat was accepted by Hazrat Aly in favour of the three first Khalifs voluntarily and with goodwill for the protection of the interests of the Muslims throughout the world.

We Ismailis now in the same spirit accept the Khalifat of the first Khalifs and such other Khalifs as during the last thirteen centuries helped the cause of Islam, politically, socially and from a worldly point of view. On the other hand the Spiritual Imamat remained with Hazrat Aly and remains with his direct descendants always alive till the day of Judgement. That a spiritual succession to the Imamat makes the Imam the 'Ulu'1-amr Menkom always according to the Koran and though he has his moral claim to the Khalifat as well, always he can, like Hazrat Aly himself owing to the conditions of the world accept and support such worldly authorities as the Imam believes help the cause of Islam. Thus a final reconciliation without upsetting either Sunni or Shiah doctrine has been proclaimed always by me as the faith of all the Ismailis.
Dovduv

Post by Dovduv »

But why is Ali called the "first caliph" when he was the fourth especially since he accepted the others? And how did Ali acquire so much importance when nothing explicit in the Quran established him as the heir. Certainly if it were explicit, all the Sunni Muslims would have also accepted it, and there would not have been any disputes among Muslims.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Dovduv wrote:But why is Ali called the "first caliph" when he was the fourth especially since he accepted the others? And how did Ali acquire so much importance when nothing explicit in the Quran established him as the heir. Certainly if it were explicit, all the Sunni Muslims would have also accepted it, and there would not have been any disputes among Muslims.
Hazarat Ali is the first hereditary Imam of the Shia Muslims, and the last of the four rightly-guided Caliphs after the passing away of the Prophet (may peace be upon Him). Hazarat Ali inherited the spiritual authority of the Prophet. The Caliphs held temporal authority.

There has been discussion on the issue of inheritance at:

Ghadir Khum and Qu'ran

http://www.ismaili.net/html/modules.php ... highlight=

Please read through the thread and then you may ask your questions.