Mohamed Cchel (Chel) the magician

Share small ismaili stories
Admin

Mohamed Cchel (Chel) the magician

Post by Admin »

As Received:

On December 20, 1893 Chhel came to Junagadh to meet Sir Sultan Mohamed Shah Aga Khan at a fairground outside Manjevdi, hoping to dazzle the Imam with his magical powers.

Chhel approached the Imam’s entourage and Varas Kasam Bapoo asked what is it?

Chhel asked: I’d like to meet Aga Sahib, “Main hoon jadoo Ghar Mohammed Chhel, jiska agam nigamka khel, ghee ka banaau tel, aur bhe(n)s ko banaadu bel!”

Imam Sir Sultan Mohamed Shah appeared and asked, kya chaahiye toomko? (what do you want?)

Chhel replied: Kuch nahi chaahihe, Janaab, kuchh nahin, mein to sirf mere jadoo ka parchha dikhaana chaahta hoon, Main hoon jadoo ghar Mohammed Chhel, jiska agam nigam ka khel

(nothing Sir, nothing -- I just wish to show You my magic. I am Mohammed Chhel, he who defies logic!)

Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah Happily said: Yes, very good, but I am a Holy man, I have no interest in so-called magic

The Imam then instructed Varas Kassam Bapoo to give Chhel Rs. 200
Chhel did not accept it saying: no no Sahib, I just ask for Your blessings.
The Imam asked if he wanted anything further, to that Chhel replied: I just wish to show you my magical powers -- I can penetrate a hammer in to my chest, I can make all the marine life and crustations abandon the sea, I can turn the seawater into wax, I can swallow a flame, - - Sahib, I am Jadoo Ghar Mohammed Chhel!

Aga Khan: okay, okay, what trick will you show me?

Chhel: Aga Sahib, if I simply exhale, I can make this entire marquee fly away and disappear, or if I clap my hands, this entire mela (fairground) will disappear and the ground will become baren. Yes Sahib, Yes… no one as enchanting as me has ever been born in this universe,

Chhel continued to give a long lecture, saying what was to be said, but also saying what was not to be said. Chhel ended by saying, Aga Sahib, give me the command (hukam) of what you wish to see, and I will perform magic.

At that time, Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah let go of his staff ( walking stick) and it fell to the ground, saying: okay, show me all the tricks you wish to; but first pick up my staff. Show me the magic of picking up this staff, pick it up and place it in my hand.

Chhel: O Sahib, what is such a big deal about this task? This can be done simply by me hovering my left hand. (It is an indian expresion: Baya haath ka khel - meaning easy game)

Aga Khan: O really? Please pick up my staff, use both hands if you need to.

Chell began reciting mantras and waving his hands, blowing vigorously, clapping, moving his fingers in choreographed motions – the staff would not move.

When Chhel tried to lift it with his hands, using all his strength, dripping with perspiration, breathing heavily, he fell sideways, but the staff did not move,

The scene was reminiscent of the staff of Moses and that of the Pharaoh. Indeed Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah traces his ancestry back to Moses Himself.
Chhel was totally confused and was turning red with grief!

Sir Sultan Mohammed Shah found great amusement in witnessing this, to his right was Varas Kassam Bapoo, to his left was Kul Kamadia Ibrahim Bhai, both of whom were astonished that the world-renowned magician could not even pick up a stick from the floor!

Chhel fell to the Imams feet and begged “O Aga, O Pir Sahib, forgive me!” the Imam replied, I never tried to challenge you, I am a dervish, I do not take interest in such nonsense. He continued by saying, Mohammed Chhel, why did you give up? This is such a simple task that even a child can do.
In the distance there was an 8 or 9 year old boy who was seen playing, the Imam loved this child dearly, Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah requested: “Beta, can you pick up my staff and hand it to Me?” right away this child picked up the staff with one hand, he wiped it clean and handed it to his Imam.

Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah said to Chhel: see this is a task for a young child – but remember, I am the Imam, and without the blessing and command of God, nothing can be achieved in this world.