WHY IN QURAN DOES ALLAH REFER TO HIMSELF AS WE

In this Forum you put small info of a couple of line, some info that is though provoking, like the Did You Know on the front page...
swamidada

WHY IN QURAN DOES ALLAH REFER TO HIMSELF AS WE

Post by swamidada »

Why, in the Quran, does Allah refer to Himself as we?

Islam is a strictly monotheistic religion. It believes in and adheres to uncompromising monotheism. It believes that God is one, and unique in His attributes. In the Quran, God often refers to Himself using the word ‘We’. But this does not mean that Islam believes in the existence of more than one God.

In several languages, there are two types of plurals, one is a plural of numbers to refer to something that occurs in a quantity of more than one. The other plural is a plural of respect.

In the English language, the Queen or King of England refer to herself or himself as ‘We’ instead of ‘I’. This is known as the ‘royal plural’.

In Arabic, when God refers to Himself in the Quran, He often uses Arabic word: ‘Nahnu' meaning ‘We’.

It does not indicate plural of number but plural of respect. Tawheed or monotheism is one of the pillars of Islam. The existence and uniqueness of one and only one God is mentioned several times in the Quran. For instance in Surah Ikhlas, it says :

"Say He is Allah the One and Only." [Quran 112: 1]
kmaherali

Re: WHY IN QURAN DOES ALLAH REFER TO HIMSELF AS WE

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:18 pm Why, in the Quran, does Allah refer to Himself as we?
Imams in Ismaili tradition have also referred to themselves as we. It can also be interpreted to refer to the chain of Imamat. 'We' can represent all the Imams in the past and the ones in the future.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

kmaherali wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:42 am
swamidada wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:18 pm Why, in the Quran, does Allah refer to Himself as we?
Imams in Ismaili tradition have also referred to themselves as we. It can also be interpreted to refer to the chain of Imamat. 'We' can represent all the Imams in the past and the ones in the future.
You are right, it is true, 'WE' can represent all the Imams. Imam Ja'far Sadiq said, "NAHNU BAABULLAH, NAHNU ASM'ULLAH". We are gate to Allah. We are (sacred) names of Allah.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Also the WE in the Quran can mean that the message is timeless and that it is applicable at all times. It is not only meant as a message from one entity at a given time but meant as a message given by ALL entities at all times. For example For we have sent unto you a Manifest Light (Nurun Mubeen)
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

kmaherali wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:29 pm
Also the WE in the Quran can mean that the message is timeless and that it is applicable at all times. It is not only meant as a message from one entity at a given time but meant as a message given by ALL entities at all times. For example For we have sent unto you a Manifest Light (Nurun Mubeen)
Your assertion is right, but in quran allah has used word 'ANA' for Himself also.

إِنَّنِي أَنَا اللَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي
[ طه: 14]

Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:21 pm إِنَّنِي أَنَا اللَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي

Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.
Which ayat number is that?
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

kmaherali wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:10 pm
swamidada wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:21 pm إِنَّنِي أَنَا اللَّهُ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ الصَّلَاةَ لِذِكْرِي

Which ayat number is that?
Surah TAHA, ayat # 14.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:19 pm Surah TAHA, ayat # 14.
Thanks, this verse was revealed in the context of the conversation between Allah and Hazarat Musa. It is not a universal message. It is directed specifically to Hazarat Musa.

The following is the conversation

20:12 - Indeed, I am your Lord, so remove your sandals. Indeed you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa.

20:13 - And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed (to you}.

20:14 - Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.

If Allah conversed specifically with an individual he would use 'I' and not We.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

kmaherali wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:31 am
swamidada wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:19 pm Surah TAHA, ayat # 14.
Thanks, this verse was revealed in the context of the conversation between Allah and Hazarat Musa. It is not a universal message. It is directed specifically to Hazarat Musa.

The following is the conversation

20:12 - Indeed, I am your Lord, so remove your sandals. Indeed you are in the sacred valley of Tuwa.

20:13 - And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed (to you}.

20:14 - Indeed, I am Allah. There is no deity except me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.

If Allah conversed specifically with an individual he would use 'I' and not We.
Was Allah's message to Moses universal or limited? Let me quote ayat # 38 of Surah TAHA in continuation.

إِذْ أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلَىٰٓ أُمِّكَ مَا يُوحَىٰٓ.
When WE inspired your mother with this. In this ayat Allah talking to Moses and used word 'aohaina', here NA means WE.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 pm
Was Allah's message to Moses universal or limited? Let me quote ayat # 38 of Surah TAHA in continuation.
The message is no doubt of universal significance but it was directed to Hazarat Musa as an individual. It is as if I were to tell you: be kind. The message is of universal significance but it is directed to you specifically.
swamidada wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 pm إِذْ أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلَىٰٓ أُمِّكَ مَا يُوحَىٰٓ.
When WE inspired your mother with this. In this ayat Allah talking to Moses and used word 'aohaina', here NA means WE.
Yes in this case there are two situations implied: One in which Allah inspired his mother and one in which he is communicating with Hazarat Musa. Two entities involved, hence WE is used.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

Was Allah's message to Moses universal or limited? Let me quote ayat # 38 of Surah TAHA in continuation.[/quote] The message is no doubt of universal significance but it was directed to Hazarat Musa as an individual. It is as if I were to tell you: be kind. The message is of universal significance but it is directed to you specifically.
swamidada wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 pm
Reply: The message was not particularly for Moses but relayed through Moses to his nation collectively.
Last edited by swamidada on Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

swamidada wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 pm إِذْ أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلَىٰٓ أُمِّكَ مَا يُوحَىٰٓ.
Yes in this case there are two situations implied: One in which Allah inspired his mother and one in which he is communicating with Hazarat Musa. Two entities involved, hence WE is used.
[/quote]

REPLY: But those two entities mother and son were not present at same location, and Allah was talking to Moses alone.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:51 pm
REPLY: But those two entities mother and son were not present at same location, and Allah was talking to Moses alone.
The WE denotes Allah appearing or acting multiple times, the entities refers to Allahs. In this case he appeared or acted twice: one time with Moses (in conversation} and the other with his mother.
swamidada

Post by swamidada »

kmaherali wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:26 pm
swamidada wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:51 pm
The WE denotes Allah appearing or acting multiple times, the entities refers to Allahs. In this case he appeared or acted twice: one time with Moses (in conversation} and the other with his mother.
Was Allah in touch with both entities through conference call, that's why He used plural form.