NINDA

Discussion on R&R from all regions
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Web Means the End of Forgetting

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/magaz ... ?th&emc=th

Excerpt:

"We’ve known for years that the Web allows for unprecedented voyeurism, exhibitionism and inadvertent indiscretion, but we are only beginning to understand the costs of an age in which so much of what we say, and of what others say about us, goes into our permanent — and public — digital files. The fact that the Internet never seems to forget is threatening, at an almost existential level, our ability to control our identities; to preserve the option of reinventing ourselves and starting anew; to overcome our checkered pasts.

In a recent book, “Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age,” the cyberscholar Viktor Mayer-Schönberger cites Stacy Snyder’s case as a reminder of the importance of “societal forgetting.” By “erasing external memories,” he says in the book, “our society accepts that human beings evolve over time, that we have the capacity to learn from past experiences and adjust our behavior.” In traditional societies, where missteps are observed but not necessarily recorded, the limits of human memory ensure that people’s sins are eventually forgotten. By contrast, Mayer-Schönberger notes, a society in which everything is recorded “will forever tether us to all our past actions, making it impossible, in practice, to escape them.” He concludes that “without some form of forgetting, forgiving becomes a difficult undertaking.”

It’s often said that we live in a permissive era, one with infinite second chances. But the truth is that for a great many people, the permanent memory bank of the Web increasingly means there are no second chances — no opportunities to escape a scarlet letter in your digital past. Now the worst thing you’ve done is often the first thing everyone knows about you."
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Be Impeccable With Your Word.
Speak with integrity.
Say only what you mean.
Avoid using your word to speak against yourself
or to gossip about others.
Use the power of your word
in the direction of truth and love.
- don Miguel Ruiz

Better than a thousand hollow words,
is one word that brings peace.
- The Buddha

Every thought you think
and every word you speak
is affirming something.
- Louise L. Hay

Today's affirmation:
I open myself for the word of Spirit to flow through me.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Link to Kalame Mowla Verses on Gossip

U. Dar Fazeelate Kamasukhan - Importance Of Minimizing Speech & Gossip

http://ismaili.net/heritage/node/23036
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
- Anonymous

Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.
- Wayne Dyer

Let mad beauty collect itself in your eyes.
- Jewel

A flower is a weed seen through joyful eyes.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

The virtue of anyone or anything is solely in our perspective.
See gold, and there is gold; see lead and there is lead.
If you see this thistle as a thorny nuisance, then it is a weed.
If you appreciate its bright pink bloom, then it is a flower.
It becomes what you name it.
The power is in your choice, your perspective, your speaking.

“At your absolute best, you still won't be good enough for the wrong person. At your worst, you'll still be worth it to the right person.” ~ Karen Salmansohn

“The need to prove who you are will vanish once you know who you are.” ~ Danielle Pierre
Admin

Post by Admin »

kmaherali wrote:Link to Kalame Mowla Verses on Gossip

U. Dar Fazeelate Kamasukhan - Importance Of Minimizing Speech & Gossip

http://ismaili.net/heritage/node/23036
Kalame Mowla has a lot of Wisdom. it is sad that more research is not available on this work. Many years ago (actually I have the date; 29 June 1991) late al-Waez Noordin Baksh wrote to me from Karachi. He said "I have original source of Kalam-e-Mowla in Arabic and Persian. " He was to attend the Khojki Conference and present a paper on the subject but could not come and I have no access now to his study. I wonder how many important works of this kind we have lost in the last few decades.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

This One Magic Phrase Will Stop Gossip in Its Tracks

Just about everyone gossips, and once you start sharing juicy tidbits, it's hard to stop.

Psychologists have studied the societal uses of gossip--learning from others' mistakes, knowing who to avoid, and developing social rules--but there's no denying that gossip can be just plain hurtful. 'Spreading a malicious rumour doesn't just hurt the subject of the gossip, but it makes the person gossiping look bad in a rude and immature way,' says Sharon Schweitzer, an international etiquette expert and founder of Protocol & Etiquette Worldwide. Talk badly about people too often, and your reputation of being a rumour monger will make others stop trusting you. (Related: These subtle habits will make people trust you.)

Resisting the temptation to bring up dubious rumours or badmouthing other people is one thing, but things get trickier when you're talking to a group of gossips. 'Sometimes people start saying something benign, and someone makes a comment that initiates a full-blown gossip session,' says Schweitzer. If your conscience tells you the subjects of the discussion wouldn't like what they were hearing, it's time to bring that conversation to a close. (Find out the seven magic phrases that can save an awkward conversation.)

More..
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/wha ... ailsignout
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Through Each Other's Eyes

Could a greater miracle take place
than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?
- Henry David Thoreau

Before you criticize a man,
walk a mile in his shoes.
- Anonymous

The more we care for the happiness of others,
the greater is our own sense of well-being.
- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

Understanding is a two-way street.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

We are all different - and we are all one.
Take time to understand, and to appreciate.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

Criticism Does Not Foster Change

We cannot change anything until we accept it.
Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.
- Carl Jung

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain,
and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin

Never ascribe to malice that which is
adequately explained by incompetence.
- Napoleon

When they are disappointed, most people react by assigning blame,
and finding someone to criticize.
What if we accepted that our disappointments
are seldom the result of malice on the part of anyone,
and worked together to make life better for all.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am,
then I can change.
- Carl Rogers
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

What You See Reflects Your Thinking

What you see reflects your thinking.
And your thinking but reflects your choice of what you want to see.
- A Course In Miracles

Life is a mirror, and will reflect back
to the thinker what he thinks into it.
- Ernest Holmes

What others say and do is a projection of their own reality.
- don Miguel Ruiz

Smile and the world smiles with you.
- Anonymous

Everyone is a mirror image of yourself -
your own thinking coming back at you.
- Byron Katie

I am a Mirror for Love and Light,
but never for Anger or Fear.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

The Merchant and the Parrot
By Jalal-ad-din Rumi (1207–1273)

From the ‘Masnavi’: Version by A. V. Williams Jackson

THERE was a merchant owned a parrot which was kept shut up in a cage, the paroquet’s world. 1
On a certain occasion the merchant made preparations for a journey, beginning with Hindustan. 2
Calling each of his man-servants and his maid-servants, he said: “What am I to bring back to you? Let me know.” 3
Each expressed a wish according to his own choice; and the good man promised something to every one. 4
Turning to the poll-parrot, he said: “And what gift am I to bring you from the land of Hindustan?” 5
Polly replied: “When you see those parrots there, make my situation known to them, and say:— 6
“‘There is a certain parrot who is longing for you, but is confined from the free vault of heaven, shut up in a cage. 7
“‘He sends you his greetings, and he asks of you direction and some means of deliverance.’ 8
“And add: ‘Does it seem fair for me to be wasting my life in longing and to die here far away? 9
“‘Am I to be allowed to continue in durance vile, while you are in green nooks among the boughs? 10
“‘Is this to be the loyalty of friends—for me to be in a cage, and you out in the gardens? 11
“‘Recall to memory that grieving bird, O ye grandees, in the morning draft amid your delightsome nooks.’” 12

[The parrot proceeds then to expatiate upon love, and upon the union existing between souls.] 13

The merchant received the message, with its salutation, to deliver to the bird’s kindred. 14
And when he came to the far-off land of Hindustan, he saw in the desert parrots, many a one. 15
Stopping his beast and raising his voice, he delivered his salutation and his message. 16
Then, wonderful to relate, one of the parrots began a great fluttering, and down it fell, dead, and breathed its last. 17
The merchant sore repented of telling his message, and said: “’Tis only for the death of a living creature I am come. 18
“There was perchance a connection between these parrots, two bodies with but a single soul. 19
“Ah, why did I do it! Why did I carry out my commission! I am helplessly grieved at telling this.” 20

[The merchant moralizes at some length upon life, and upon the soul and its relation to God.] 21

When the merchant had finished up his business abroad, he returned to his glad home. 22
And to every man-servant he presented some gift, and to each maid-servant he handed out a gift. 23
Then up spake the Polly: “What gift for the prisoner? What did you see and what did you say? Tell me that.” 24
Said the merchant: “Ah me! That whereof I repent me, and for which I could bite my hand and gnaw my fingers. 25
“Why did I, through ignorance and folly, vainly carry that idle message?” 26
Said Poll: “Merchant, what’s this repentance about? And what has brought about this passion and grief?” 27
He replied: “I told that plaintive story of yours to a flock of parrots that looked just like you. 28
“And a certain parrot felt so keenly for your distress that its heart broke in twain, and it fluttered and dropped dead. 29
“I felt deep regret. What was this I had said? But what does regret help, whatever I said?” 30

[The merchant moralizes at some length.]

As soon as the parrot heard what that bird had done, he too fluttered and dropped down and grew cold. 32
When the merchant observed it thus fallen, he started up and flung down his turban upon the ground. 33
And when he saw the bird in such plight and condition, he started to tear the very clothes at his throat, 34
Saying: “O Polly, my pretty creature, what is this, alas, that has happened thee? Why art thou thus? 35
“Ah, alas, my sweet-voiced bird! Ah, alas, my companion and confidant! 36
“Ah, alas, my sweet-note bird; my spirit of joy and angel of the garden!” 37

[He continues to lament over the departed bird. But it must have fallen in accordance with the Divine Will. Man’s dependence upon God.] 38

Thereupon the merchant tossed the bird out of the cage; but the paroquet instantly flew up on a high bough. The merchant was dumbfounded at the bird’s conduct; amazed and at a loss, he marveled at the mystery of the bird. 39
And looking upward he said: “My nightingale, give some explanation of what you have done!…” 40
Said the parrot: “That bird it was gave me counsel how I should act; in effect, this: ‘Rid yourself of your speech, voice, and talking; 41
“‘For it is your voice that has brought you into captivity.’ And then to prove its counsel it died itself.” 42

[The parrot dilates further in religious manner upon the changes and chances of mortal life.] 43

Then Polly gave one or two bits more of guileless advice, and now said:— 44
“Adieu, good-by! Farewell, my merchant; you have done a mercy to me: you have set me free from bonds and oppression. 45
“Farewell, O merchant: I am now going home; and one day mayest thou become free just like me.” 46
The merchant responded: “To God’s keeping go thou; thou hast taught me from this instant a new path of life.”
swamidada_2

Post by swamidada_2 »

Quran says:"O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful".

Al Hujjarat # 11
swamidada_2

Post by swamidada_2 »

JISS GHATT MAHE(N) NINDA VAPAREY
TISS GHATT SHAITAN PRAKAASH
TEY EIBB KADHEY SAHU TAN(N)A
TENEY BEKOLE SAHI JAAN(N)

In whose being backbiting and slander prevail, the shaitan shines in his (body). This person brings out faults of every one. Indeed such person is violator of words.
swamidada_2

Post by swamidada_2 »

Admin wrote:
Get your own server and you can become an Admin and open as many duplicate threads as you wish.

It is a good idea, at present I am busy with livelihood and other projects, may be some day I shall start blog in competition to yours and show Ismaili youth REAL Ismailism according to Quran, Farmans and guidance of Hazar Imam.
BUT I shall not be arrogant, rude, loose tempered, taunting, and blocking posts. How's that!!
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

swamidada wrote: It is a good idea, at present I am busy with livelihood and other projects, may be some day I shall start blog in competition to yours and show Ismaili youth REAL Ismailism according to Quran, Farmans and guidance of Hazar Imam.
BUT I shall not be arrogant, rude, loose tempered, taunting, and blocking posts. How's that!!
I look forward to reading and participating in your blog. Of course diversity is a strength and we welcome diverse opinions.

At the same time if you choose to participate in this forum you have to respect the rules. You are not forced to be here. There are many other forums where you can share your knowledge.
swamidada_2

Post by swamidada_2 »

kmaherali wrote:
swamidada wrote: It is a good idea, at present I am busy with livelihood and other projects, may be some day I shall start blog in competition to yours and show Ismaili youth REAL Ismailism according to Quran, Farmans and guidance of Hazar Imam.
At the same time if you choose to participate in this forum you have to respect the rules. You are not forced to be here. There are many other forums where you can share your knowledge.
Appreciate your encouragement, but rules should be followed and obeyed by both parties at both ends. Freedom of speech and expression should be respected of contributors, their accounts should not be blocked and restrict Forum. By the way I am also on 2 other non Ismaili blogs defending Ismaili khojas.
kmaherali

Post by kmaherali »

What Moral Philosophy Tells Us About Our Reactions to Trump’s Illness

The impulse to wish harm on others may come naturally, but that doesn’t make it right.

The other day, my 7-year-old, having gotten wind of President Trump’s Covid-19 diagnosis, asked me point blank, “Mommy, are you glad that Trump got the coronavirus?”

I am a moral philosopher, and yet I had a hard time coming up with an answer. The question demands we grapple not only with the moral meaning of the president’s illness but also with our complex and contested reactions to it. To be clear, I am not debating whether it is morally wrong to wish for the president’s death. It is wrong. Full stop. Nevertheless, now that Mr. Trump has been declared healthy enough to return to work, I think it is important that we assess the moral significance of the positive reactions his run-in with Covid-19 has produced.

Mr. Trump’s diagnosis generated an immediate torrent of glee, gloating and schadenfreude on social media. It was followed by an equally quick and ferocious attempt to tamp it down. Joe Biden and Barack Obama, among other Democratic politicians, offered well wishes for the president and his wife, while left-leaning columnists rushed to wish them a speedy recovery. Many went on to admonish those rejoicing in the president’s misfortune, suggesting that such apparent meanspiritedness is but one more symptom of the moral rot that has come to consume our political culture.

While I agree that the gloating over Mr. Trump’s illness is morally concerning, I also find it fair to ask whether certain less celebratory but still positive reactions to his disease are entirely blameworthy and without moral merit.

It is generally accepted that Mr. Trump’s mendacious and reckless attitude toward the coronavirus, including his contempt for his government’s own public health guidelines, has helped lead indirectly but predictably to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans. This is not to mention the individuals he directly and perhaps knowingly endangered once he had learned of his own diagnosis. In light of these catastrophic misdeeds, was it morally wrong to want Mr. Trump to suffer the consequences of his own callous incaution?

Ambivalent reactions to President Trump’s medical condition become more understandable when we appreciate that valid moral principles are often in tension with one another and can pull us in different directions. Condemning the pleasure that his misfortune has produced is certainly correct from one moral perspective, but there are also valid moral reasons to regard his illness as a potentially positive thing. Judging the moral meaning of Mr. Trump’s bout with Covid-19 — and our reactions to it — is no easy task.

The same bedrock moral principles — that life is sacred, that all people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect — make it wrong both to wantonly endanger others and to wish suffering and death upon any individual. We appeal to these principles in objecting to the glee and schadenfreude that engulfed Twitter in the wake of Mr. Trump’s diagnosis. From this perspective, it does not matter how morally corrupt he may be, nor the harms he has inflicted on others, wittingly or unwittingly, directly or indirectly. This is all beside the point when we consider that the president is a person with dignity or, as columnists more often put it, “a man with a family.” According to this line of thought, we should not wish to see Mr. Trump fighting for his life on a ventilator, no matter what he has done, and we are right to be concerned by attitudes that seem to contravene this principle.

More...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/opin ... 778d3e6de3